Thursday, June 25, 2009

Twitter?!?!

Ideally when one creates a blog, one has something useful to share with others. I am working toward that point, and I have definitely made some progress at getting involved in the CF community online. I was shocked by where it is taking place too--on Twitter. I had some sense that Twitter was being used for something valuable when I noticed a few people tweeting from CFUnited last year. I still had a strong sense that Twitter was pretty useless, being used to let people know what you eat for dinner, what time you go to bed, and more personal or more useless information.

After Phillip Senn directed me to Twitter and asked people to follow me, I am getting to know some people there. I have posted several questions and gotten answers. I've discussed things a little more in the irc #coldbox chatroom. I really feel like there are people out there who I can ask about something when I'm stuck.

So for now what I have to offer someone new to CF or someone trying to get involved in the community is to join Twitter. Get Tweetdeck, (or some Twitter client) which gives you more features than running Twitter in a browser. Start following CF people. If you don't know where to find them, follow me, @cf_sarahk, and see who I follow. Also track the hashtag #coldfusion. These will get you started. There are friendly people out there and they are amazingly willing to help!

3 comments:

  1. There's also #coldfusion on Dal.net (IRC). It gets pretty active there at times, and you can usually get your questions answered there, plus engage in witty conversations. I'd suggest getting one of the IRC clients - there are many good ones out there for any OS. I'm KnitGal on that chat channel. There's two or three other women who hang out there on a more or less frequent basis.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had no idea cold fusion was still alive :-) Is it suitable to any particular applications these days? Why for example, would someone chose CF over a traditional LAMP setup? Curious.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post. I also believed Twitter was "pretty useless, being used to let people know what you eat for dinner, what time you go to bed, and more personal or more useless information", but this post has convinced me to give Twitter a shot.

    ReplyDelete